Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Give me the coffee and no one gets hurt

It has been a busy week.  I've been running on adrenaline and jet fuel trying to get everything done.  My sister's birthday is coming up soon, and I'm trying to put together a little package of gifts that I've made.  Herein lies the problem.  Sewing and crafting is a lot like cooking.  You have to have all the ingredients, and you have to know a little bit about what you are doing.  Every time I think I have everything, I find out there's one more piece of the puzzle that I'm missing.  If I could just have a sewing store in my basement, this would all be a lot easier.  I'm a novice at sewing, meaning that I just started teaching myself a few months ago, so the thought of giving someone a gift that I've sewn feels a little like I'm handing out macaroni necklaces. 

If only Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Crumbles would survive thousands of miles of travel, my worries would be over.  Mr. JP and I made this yesterday morning.  We have both been running on empty this week, so we had a nice sleep-late followed by a delicious hot breakfast.  The recipe says that this is best the first day, but we both thought the texture was better this morning when we ate it as leftovers.  It became a lot like a delicious bread pudding, but the cinnamon crunchies did get a little soggy, so if you want that first-day-crunch, put it under the broiler for a minute before serving.  I love this recipe, and I think it would adapt very well to different fillings.  Next time I am going to use up some ripe bananas and add walnuts in lieu of raisins.  I think it would also work well with applesauce (reduce the liquid to compensate) and those delicious little wild Boreal blueberries. 

That's all for now.  I need to head out to the Farmer's Market and hit up the fabric store on my way home so I can continue making macaroni necklaces for my dear sister!  I hope she likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment