Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kooky Kuchen: A divinely delicious imposter

My Momma came to visit last weekend, and I've missed her so much since she left.  She gives me a cookbook almost every year for one occasion or another, and there is one that is my absolute favorite, if not for the recipes, then for the note she wrote in the front cover.  I pulled it out and started flipping through it to get some kitchen inspiration, and found a recipe for peach kuchen.  Kuchen is a German cake, kind of like coffee cake, with fruit and custard on top.  My Grandma Lillian makes the best kuchen, but since she lives several thousand miles away, I can't get any of the really good stuff!  I also realized after making this recipe that I am in desperate need of Grandma's secrets if I am to make the real deal.

This recipe is absolutely divine, don't get me wrong, but it is NOT kuchen as I know it!  It is a heavenly combination of upside down peach crisp/cobbler with cream.

Peach Kuchen 
from Recipes to Warm the Heart (recipe submitted by Twyla Zaske, Renville, MN)

2 c. sifted flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (don't even think about the M word here, folks)
6 fresh peaches (I used frozen and it was quite yummy!)
1 tsp. cinnamon (who are we kidding?  I am a frugal woman, but not with cinnamon.  Load it!)
2 egg yolks
1 c. cream


After addition of cream
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons sugar together.  Work in the butter until mixture looks like corn meal.  Place in a 9-inch square cake pan and pat an even layer over bottom.  Place peach halves on pastry.  Sprinkle mixture of cinnamon and sugar over peaches.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Now, mix egg yolks and cream together; pour over kuchen.  Bake for 30 minutes longer at 350 degrees or until custard is set.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment